Good Counsel Primary School was named in 1975 but for 72 years prior to this date was known as the Sacred Heart Convent. The school has a great history forged by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan who sailed into Geraldton, as it was then known, in November 1903. Sacred Heart School commenced lessons on Monday November 2, 1903 with an enrolment of 42 students.
Good Counsel Primary School was established in 1975 with Sr Kerin Caldwell, a Good Samaritan Sister as Principal.
Continuing a tradition in North Queensland, Good Counsel Primary School was initially headed by the Good Samaritan Sisters followed for a short period of time by the Marist Brothers. In 1982 the first lay Principal was appointed and 1990 saw the final year of religious presence in the school with the withdrawal of the Good Samaritan Sisters. Since 1990 the school has been staffed by a lay principal and teachers.
Extensive additions and refurbishments have occurred over the ensuing years and in 1998 the present structure was officially opened by Bishop James Foley. Following Cyclone Larry in 2006, the whole school was refurbished and extensively updated with classroom computer mini-labs.
During 2010/2011 a major building upgrade took place to refurbish and extend the library, computer laboratory, learning support area, theatrette, staff and resource area.
In 2013, our covered area was extended as well as the roof raised, to allow greater flexibility and comfort for students. Construction of Ablution Block, Tuckshop, Sports Room and Uniform Shop occurred prior to the commencement of the 2014 school year. These facilities are second to none in the region.